1. What are your favorite sports to watch and to play? Why do you prefer them?
2. Do you like practicing sports? Ho often do (did) you do it?
3. What is your opinion about the way your country leads with sports?
4. Do you like soccer? Why (not)?
5. Most people who like soccer says that they like it because it is unpredictable and not always does the best or most expensive players win their matches, which makes the game extremely thrilling. Do you agree with those people?
6. Most people who dislike soccer say that players try to cheat the game, simulating fouls to deceive the referees and win a match, which makes the game less "clean" than other sports. Others say that players earn too much and do not make efforts when they represent heir countries internationally. What's your opinion about it?
7. Most people consider Pelé and Maradona the best players of soccer history? Do you agree with it? Who was the best? Or is there any other current player better then them?
8. Pelé is probably the most respected Brazilian celebrity of all times. What do you know about him?
9. Read the statements below and decide if they are true or false.
- He scored a total of 1,283 first-class goals, including 77 for Brazil.
- He won three World Cups, two World Club Championships and nine Sao Paulo State Championships.
- Pele was named after American inventor Thomas Edison, his real name being Edson Arantes do Nascimento.
- At 17, Pele became the youngest ever winner of a World Cup. He also scored twice in the final against home side Sweden.
- Pele was appointed as Minister of Sport in Brazil in 1995, serving until 1998.
- He was voted athlete of the century by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 1999.
- In 1997, Pele was given an honorary British Knighthood.
- Pele said in 2006: "For 20 years they have asked me the same question, who is the greatest? Pele or Maradona? I reply that all you have to do is look at the facts - how many goals did he score with his right foot or with his head?"
- Pele has helped raise millions of pounds for charitable causes including Great Ormond Street and Harlem Street Soccer.
- "How do you spell Pelé?" the Times of London once declared. "G-O-D".
- Pele and Maradona are hardly friends. In 2010, Pele said of the Argentinian: “He is not a good example for the youth. He had the God-given gift of being able to play football, and that is why he is lucky." Maradona's response: “Who cares what Pele says? He belongs in a museum.”
- In 2000, Pelé was named second in the BBC's "Sportsman of the Century" award. Boxing legend Muhammad Ali came first.
(Answer key: All are true)
10. Watch the movie segment and describe the scene. What does it say about Pelé?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - PELÉ BIRTH OF A LEGEND